This is one of those recipes that looks weird but tastes GREAT!! The first time I made this, my hubby and his friend (who said it looked like barf) loved it so much they each ate three helpings!
Plus, it’s really healthy too!
Here’s the recipe, I usually double it so I have enough leftovers to send to work with my husband. I like to serve it over brown rice.
- Water for sautéing veggies
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas -OR 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed – Use 2 cans when doubling the recipe
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1-2 cups of chopped kale (I use two bunches when I double the recipe. I’ve also used spinach)
- 2 small zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest of (I always add extra, I love lemon!)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat water sauté the onion, garlic and chickpeas until chickpeas are deeply golden and crusty.
Stir in the tofu and cook just until the tofu is heated through, just a minute or so.
Stir in the kale and cook for one minute more.
Remove everything from the skillet onto a large plate and set aside.
In the same skillet add the zucchini and water saute until it starts to take on a bit of color, two or three minutes.
Add the chickpea mixture back to the skillet, and remove from heat.
Stir in the lemon juice and zest, taste, and season with a tiny bit of salt if needed.
Turn out onto a platter and serve over brown rice or whatever you wish.