Now that the weather is finally getting colder, I can make all my favorite soups! My toddler has almost perfected the use of a spoon so the timing is perfect!
This soup is one of our favorites and it’s super easy and healthy. This is similar to my Italian’ish Lentil Tomato Soup but with different spices – more of an Indian curry-type soup.
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 large pinch chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 ounces red lentils
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock – I use Imagine Brand No-Chicken Broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (can used canned or homemade) – I pressure cook a pound or so a week and use those rather than canned.
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Plain soy yogurt – It’s really good with this, try it!!
Heat a large saucepan and dry fry the cumin seeds and chili flakes for 1 min or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 minutes Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough puree, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas. Heat gently, season well with salt & pepper and stir in the cilantro. Finish with a spoonful of yogurt.