Farro, you may not know what it is but trust me, you’ll like it! It’s one of the oldest cultivated grains on our planet. It is high in fiber and protein and a great source of complex carbohydrates (think good carbs – whole grains). It has a chewy, hearty texture and looks like this…
I tend to rotate breakfast grains and this is high on my list of favorites! I was in a coconut-type of mood this morning so I came up with this Coconut Cardamom Breakfast Farro! Hope you like it, I did… and my toddler REALLY liked it!
I used Kal Brand Stevia, instead of sugar, to sweeten it up a bit. You could almost chill this and make it into a dessert pudding!
* 1 cup farro, rinsed
* 1 – 14.5oz can coconut milk (lite or regular)
* 1 cup almond milk (or whatever milk you want to use)
* 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
* 1/4 tsp coconut extract (optional but good)
* Little less than 1/8 tsp Stevia
* Big pinch of salt
* Shredded coconut, unsweetened (to top)
* Cinnamon (to top)
* Add farro, milk, cardamom, stevia and salt to saucepan. Bring to boil.
* Reduce heat to a low boil, cook for 25 minutes or until your desired texture, stirring occasionally.
* Stir in coconut extract, serve with shredded coconut and a dash of cinnamon on top!Tags: cinnamon, coconut, coconut cardamon breakfast farro, coconut extract, coconut milk, farro, shredded coconut