This soup is delicious! It’s a little spicy and very satisfying with a side of toasted naan (if you eat bread, we do no more than twice a week) and a glass of red wine (or hemp milk for my toddler!). This recipe is from HealthyMammas.com – home of the recently made Creamy Dreamy Superfood Pudding and Black Bean & Corn Quinoa (2 more fabulous recipes!). This recipe is toddler approved, she ate the whole bowl but she commented on it being “spicy Mommy spicy” the whole time… you may want to back off the chili powder if you have a spice sensitive child. My daughter will eat wasabi peas and dried chili mango so she may be the exception. 🙂
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 1 7/8 lbs 15 bean soup mix (I used the 8-bean soup mix from my CSA – about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- Water/broth for sautéing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, or 10 oz of fresh, chopped spinach (I used fresh – 2 bunches organic spinach)
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced (I used leftover shredded carrots from Healthy Veggie Muffins)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I used fire roasted with garlic)
- 8 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons worth) – this makes it!!
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce (Didn’t have any so I used a big squirt of Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon salt (optional)
- Soak beans overnight, or at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Cook beans in water until just tender by simmering on the stove in 2 qts. water for 1 1/2 hours. (or more) (Can also cook in slower cooker or pressure cooker.).
- Shortly before the beans are done, saute onion and garlic until slightly brown.
- When beans are done, drain half the cooking water.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, for 40-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.