Here’s another great recipe from Melomeals: Vegan For $3.33 A Day, this is one of our favorite meals! This chili is even better the second day and even better than that thawed from the freezer! I usually double this recipe and freeze half in 2 cup portions for my hubby to take to work. This is really good topped with Chipotle Sauce.
Water/broth for sautéing
1 large onion or 1.5 cups diced
5 cloves garlic, or 1.5 T minced
1 t cumin seeds (ground is OK)
1 t coriander
2 T chili powder
1/4 t oregano or marjoram
2 serrano chiles, seeded if less spice is desired, chopped – I omit these sometimes so my toddler will eat it
1 small green pepper or 3/4 c chopped
1 small red pepper or 3/4 c chopped
3 c black beans (28 oz can or 1 c dried. but if they’re dried they need to be cooked first)
4 c vegetable stock or water
2 bouillon cubes if not using stock – I use 1 cube
1/2 c quinoa, rinsed
15 oz can corn or 1.5 c frozen corn – I use frozen corn
14 oz can diced tomatoes, or better yet, Rotel
more stock/water if necessary
Juice of 1 large lime – I add the zest in as well
2 c cilantro, chopped
salt/pepper to taste
1. In a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat, place the first 11
ingredients in the pan and saute for at least 10 minutes.
2. Add the beans and stock and quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down
to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes
3. Then add the corn and tomatoes.
4. You may need to add more water to reach your desired thickness.
5. Turn heat to low and cover for 20 more minutes.
6. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro and season with salt/pepper to
7. Top with vegan sour cream, avocado and Chipotle Sauce!Tags: Bell pepper, black bean chili, black bean corn quinoa chili, black bean quinoa chili, Black pepper, Bouillon cube, chile powder, Coriander, Lime juice, olive oil, Rotel