This recipe is just in time for Hanukkah! This eggless version of traditional matzo brei is really good! The mushrooms and spinach are excellent additions!
I found this recipe from Chef Chloe’s website – I reduced the salt and changed a few more things.
- Vegan Matzo Brei
- 5 sheets of Matzo – I use whole wheat
- 7 ounces silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine – Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup soy, almond, or rice milk – I use almond
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced – I use baby portobellos
- 5 ounces baby spinach – I use 3-4 large handfuls
1. Place the Mazto in a large bowl and roughly break the sheets into halves or quarters using your hands. Fill the bowl with water and let soak for 5-10 minutes, or until Matzo is soggy.
2. Meanwhile, combine tofu, vegan margarine, non-dairy milk, salt, pepper, turmeric, onion powder, and garlic powder in a blender. Process until smooth.
3. In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft and slightly browned. Add spinach and let cook until wilted.
4. Drain the matzo and add it to the skillet. Add the tofu mixture to the skillet too. Turn the contents of the skillet with a spatula until the matzo is coated with the tofu mixture. Let cook until lightly browned and crispy on edges.