The original recipe is featured in the film The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue with Rip Esselstyn . I added extra veggies to ours, it turned out great! We’ve been trying to cut down (and eventually cut out) all added oils in our diet, this recipe was perfect! My toddler also loved this!
We really enjoyed this movie! (You can buy it here) My hubby requested I make these breakfast tacos, he loves anything with hash brown potatoes!
1 large onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can fat-free refried beans
1 12oz package organic tofu, drained and pressed
1 package sliced mushrooms (I used baby portobellos)
2 bunches of spinach
1 16oz package frozen hash brown potatoes (fat-free, no salt added) – I used Cascadia Farms Organic Potatoes
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
Black pepper, to taste
Salsa, to top
Avocado, to top tacos
Tortillas of your choice (I used Ezekiel Sprouted Tortillas)
Sliced limes, to top
1. Drain, press, and mash tofu. Saute the onion and garlic in a skillet on medium heat until translucent.
2. Add tofu, turmeric, cumin, and nutritional yeast. Mix together and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until soft.
3. Add spinach, cover pan with lid so spinach can wilt. Once wilted and bright green, add black pepper to taste.
3. Heat potatoes in a separate skillet, on medium heat. Stir continuously to prevent potatoes from sticking to pan. Add a bit of water to help.
4. Heat refried beans in another pan.
5. Warm tortillas and assemble tacos.
6. Garnish with salsa, avocado and lime wedges.
- Eggless Matzo Brei (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)