Ever since we watched the movie Planeat, I’ve been on a quest for a good oil-free hummus! I’ve been making these Kale Sandwiches from that movie about every other day, they’re so good! (Terrible picture, sorry! I was too busy eating the hummus to take a good pic!)
If you haven’t already read, we are trying to eliminate all added oils from our diet in an effort to “kick it up a notch” in the health department.
I used up about 6 cups of chickpeas trying to create a tasty oil-free hummus recipe, this one was a hit!
Oil-Free Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
* 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked in pressure cooker (You could use about 3 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
* Juice of 3 lemons, zest of 1 (Hey, I like lemon!)
* 2 roasted red peppers – I used roasted red peppers from a jar (COSTCO) and they were HUGE so maybe use a few more if they are small
* 2 pinches of sumac – great touch but if you don’t have any don’t worry
* 1/2 – 1 tsp salt, to taste
* 1/3-1/2 cup bean cooking liquid (Save from pressure cooking beans) OR use canned bean liquid OR water
* Handful of parsley, to taste
Blend in food processor until smooth and enjoy on sandwiches, pita chips, veggies and whatever else you like!Tags: Bean, Chickpea, Cooking, Food processor, garlic, Home, hummus, kale sandwiches, oil-free hummus, olive oil, roasted red pepper hummus