This is one of our new favorites FOR SURE! My hubby loved it and so did our toddler, she ate two bowls! I reduced the amount of spice for her and I have to admit, I was a little surprised she ate so much because it still had quite a kick!
The original recipe is from Melody from Melomeals – I made a few changes to make it a wee bit healthier.
This recipe calls for her Goaty Cashew Cheeze and Easy Garlic-Roasted Marinara Sauce (Oil-Free) so if you just made the sauce from my post yesterday… save some for this! The Goaty Cashew Cheeze is excellent to have on hand so whip up a batch of that tonight so it will be ready to use!
I’ve learned a ton from Melody’s website! She uses a few base recipes to make a bunch of different dishes, all delicious!
This stew is nice and thick, perfect for turning into burgers!! I mixed 1 cup of the leftover soup with 3/4 cup rolled oats and 1 Tbsp flax meal. It’s sitting in my fridge tonight and will make perfect burgers tomorrow! I think I’ll wrap them in collard greens, that sounds delish! Here’s the “How to Make Burgers Out Of Leftover Soup” recipe if you need a reference.
Lentil Quinoa Stew with Red Chard
- Water or broth for sautéing
- 1 tsp good quality Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 – 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes (omit if you don’t like hot – I only used a few dashes and it was a little spicy but good)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 c cooked lentils – I used 2 cans of Lower Sodium Organic Black Lentils, rinsed well (Sprouts sells them)
- 3 cup water or broth – I used water
- 2 cup Easy Garlic-Roasted Marinara Sauce (A MUST!)
- 3 Cup greens of choice, chopped – I used a whole bunch of red chard, stems included
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms – I used one whole package of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 – 4 Tbsp Goaty Cashew Cheeze (I used 4Tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 – 1 tsp t lemon zest (I zest all citrus before using and freeze it!)
- Pepper to taste
- Saute dried spices, onions, chopped chard stems and garlic for 3 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the chard leaves, balsamic vinegar, Goaty Cashew Cheeze, nutmeg, lemon zest and pepper – cover and bring to a boil for 15 minutes
- Remove lid, add chopped chard leaves and cover, cook for a few minutes or until chard wilts
- Take off heat, stir in vinegar, goat cheese, nutmeg, zest and add pepper to taste
- AMAZING BBQ Tempeh, Broccoli & Goaty Cheeze Pizza (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Easy Roasted Garlic Marinara (Oil-Free) (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Thai “Chik-n” Broccoli Orange Pizza with Goaty Cheeze (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- BBQ Tempeh Wrap with Goaty Cheeze (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Goaty Cashew Cheeze (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)