Who doesn’t love a good hummus recipe!? It’s just so easy to make and such a satisfying alternative to junk food dips out there. We love it on Kale Lemon Sandwiches, dolloped on top of salads, nestled inside of collard wraps or next to a plate of cold, raw veggies. Our toddler eats hummus for her morning snack with carrots, jicama, sugar snap peas, celery, daikon radishes (raw, yep she loves them!), raw broccoli and well… most of the time she uses her hands to scoop it into her mouth when the skinny carrot sticks and pulled-apart veggies take too long.
Then again, who doesn’t love a good OIL-FREE hummus recipes!?! I know I do, I’m always on the lookout for good oil-free alternatives to foods that are usually full of it, and still taste good too! This is a good plain hummus recipe but we also love Oil-Free Buffalo Wing’ish Hummus too!
I really like this recipe because it uses sesame seeds instead of tahini… I don’t know what it is about me and tahini but I always taste something funky when I use it. Some recipes, I don’t notice it but in hummus recipes, I do.
I found this recipe on The Veggie NP: Plant-Based Health Care ‘s Facebook page. I tweaked it a bit to suit our taste, it’s a really great recipe! I doubled it and send a big container to work with my hubby.
Delicious Oil-Free Hummus
** Combine in a strong blender:
- 1/2 c ground sesame seeds (or tahini if that’s all you have) – Put the sesame seeds in the dry blender first, and grind, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, reserve liquid OR 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 1-3 clove garlic
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 Tbsp parsley flakes
- Juice of one + lemons (or 3-4 Tbsp lemon juice) – I like lots of lemon in mine so I added extra, start with one and test to see if you want more
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional but really adds a nice taste!)
- Blend until smooth, and serve!
- Note: Use enough liquid from canned Garbanzos to get the consistency you want: thick for sandwich spread, thinner for a vegetable dip, etc. If you’re using cooked garbanzo beans, use the cooking liquid or water if that’s all you have.
- Buffalo Wing’ish Hummus (Oil-Free) (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)