Our toddler is going through a picky meal time phase lately… I’m not happy about it at all but I know it’s normal and will soon pass (hopefully!). She’s been rejecting her usual greens so I’ve been trying to figure out ways to hide them in other foods she will eat. Ugh, I was hoping I’d never have to play “hide the greens” with my kids but I suppose it’s my turn.
The “cheese” in this dish is from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen Blog… one of the best vegan food blogs EVER!!!! I changed the recipe a bit this time, added a little more spices. Turned out great! It’s so easy to make too which is double great! We don’t eat a ton of pasta anymore so I figured this might spark our toddler’s interest, maybe she won’t even notice the green stuff!!
Kale Mac n’ Cheeze
* Note: Occasionally I’ll add a can of white beans to this mixture instead of the cornstarch to thicken it. I didn’t do it this time but I highly recommend it!
- 1 pound pasta (regular or gluten-free)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup plain, fat-free soymilk (may use other non-dairy milk I used soymilk)
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch – I used cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder – I used 2 tsps
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard – I used 1 tsp
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon mellow white miso (or additional salt – I used yellow miso, all I had)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 bunches of kale, steamed and chopped – I used dino/lacinato kale
- Put the pasta on to boil, according to package directions.
- While it’s cooking, blend all remaining ingredients together in a blender. Steam and chop up your kale. I steam mine in a big pot with an inch of water at the bottom.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain it, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water, and return the pasta to pan. Add the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Add a little of the pasta water if more moistness is needed.
- Add in your chopped kale and stir until combined.