This soup is a meal in itself! Our kids both loved this soup, especially our 1-year old who ate two big bowls!
I served this with a little Coconut ‘Bacon’ on top, it was delicious!
Original recipe from Food.com.
- 5 cups vegetable broth + 3 cups water (OR 8 cups of water)
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed (I used brown lentils)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (2 lb) can chopped tomatoes, drained,reserving juice – I used a large can of tomato sauce (all I had on hand) but I bet you could use fresh tomatoes, if you prefer
- 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped frozen kale (Trader Joe’s sells it now) OR 1 bunch fresh chopped kale
- 1/2 heaping tsp crumbled dried basil (pinch it between your fingers)
- 1/2 heaping tsp crumbled oregano
- 1/4 tsp crumbled dried thyme
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Combine broth, 3 cups water (or just 8 cups of water if you’re not using broth), lentils, rice, canned tomatoes with reserved juice (or tomato sauce OR fresh tomatoes), carrots, onion, celery, and herbs and bring to boil (do not add parsley and vinegar).
- Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 45-55 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender.
- Stir in kale and cook for another 5 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Stir in parsley and vinegar and season to taste.
- Serve as is or blend up soup using your immersion blender. (I blended mine so that our 1-year old could eat it)
- Buffalo Ranch Roasted Chickpeas (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)