I’m running out of preschool breakfast ideas so I’ve been making these easy “breakfast breads” because they’re so good and so easy to heat up on busy mornings. I usually serve them toasted with almond butter but since they do not allow any nuts at school, I’ve been serving it plain with sliced bananas topped with hemp seeds and unsweetened coconut. Our 15 month loves these too and I enjoy a few extra minutes in the morning to enjoy my cup of coffee instead of making my usual somewhat complicated breakfast menu. 😉
Oh and your kids will NEVER notice there are lentils and zucchini in this bread!!!
The original recipe is from my FAVORITE chef Melody from Melomeals!! I’ve featured many of her recipes because they are staples in our house and I have to share them with you!! Please check out her blog and LIKE her on Facebook!!!
I make this and her Coconut Ginger Carrot Breakfast Bread (Sugar, Soy & Wheat-Free). We love both of them and highly recommend trying them!! This are really the only “breads” we eat besides the occasional Ezekiel slice.
Whole Food Wheatberry Ginger Breakfast Bread
- 1 lb dry wheatberries ground into flour (around 3 ½ cups) – original recipe calls for barley but I bet anything would do. Rolled oats have worked for me in the past as well.
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- heaping ¼ teaspoon each nutmeg, cloves and cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Kal Stevia Powder
- 2 cups cooked lentils – I’ve also used the Organic Sprouted Trio mix from Costco I was talking about on Facebook
- 5 small, 3 medium or 2 large zucchinis
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce – I use the cinnamon flavor
- 4-5 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons vinegar – I use apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Grind the flour (I use my VitaMix), place in large bowl with the dry ingredients
- In a large blender, add the rest of the ingredients and blend until totally smooth
- Make a well and pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Mix very well
- Grease a 9 by 13 pan and bake for 45 min – 1 hour, rotating pan halfway through
Tags: Baking powder, Bread, breakfast, Cook, Costco, Facebook, Tablespoon, Teaspoon, vegan breakfast bread, vegan zucchini bread