We all really enjoyed this soup! Ava took one bite and said “Yummy!”… that rarely happens!! I decided to puree part of the soup with my immersion blender after taking these photos and it turned out even better. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
- Water/Broth for sauté
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- 1 – 15oz Can Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 3 Medium Sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 8 Cups Veggie Broth -OR- 4 Cups Veggie Broth AND 4 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cup Red Lentils – sort and rinse before using
- Salt & Pepper
- Water/broth sauté the onion and cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. (OR water sauté)
- Add in the garlic, ginger and spices (except the salt & pepper), stir well and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, broth/water & lentils. Stir well and bring to a boil over high heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and lentils are soft. Taste, season with salt & pepper and serve.
Adapted from a recipe in “The Kind Life”
Tags: cinnamon, Cook, cumin, ginger, indian soup, onion, soup, Sweet potato, sweet potato & lentil soup, turmeric, vegan indian soup, vegan sweet potato lentil soup, vegan sweet potato soup