I’m not a huge salad person… as in “I’m not a big fan of salad AND I’m not a fan of eating HUGE salads in one sitting”… I tried it, it’s not me. I’m a talker, I need my jaws to talk, not chew salad for an hour. I have other means of exercise I’d rather do… It’s called Crossfit.
BUT my kids are still in that picky phase, you know the same one your kids are probably in the middle of? If I serve them a salad these days I can pretty much guarantee it won’t be eaten. SO what’s a busy veggie-pushing Mom like me to do?
CAMOUFLAGE! They love frozen green beans, peas and corn. They fight over small bowls of it, it’s nuts. SO I thought maybe if I hid some peas in some “salad” that they might eat it!
Made this up and served it to the kids along with their Chickpea Omelets with veggies and frozen green beans. Well what do ya know! Ava spoke first and said “actually Mommy I do like this” before I could even ask and Cash just ate it without speaking.
Asian Broccoli Cauliflower Slaw
- 2 bunches of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 medium to large sized head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups peas (frozen is fine)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 medium sized red onion, chopped
- 1 large apple, skinned and diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds (I used 3 but you could use more)
- 12ozs silken tofu – I used boxed Mori-nu tofu
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 – 2 Tbsp fresh ginger (I used 2 but I love me some ginger!)
- 8 dates
- 2 tsp tamari (or soy sauce, coconut aminos, etc)
- 4 Tbsp white miso (yellow should work too)
- 1/2 cups water, or to desired consistency
Process your broccoli and cauliflower in a food processor (using your S blade) until chopped into tiny bits. I did my cauliflower first, then my broccoli in two batches. Add to large bowl and stir.
Shred carrots using your food processor and add those to the same bowl along with your apple, red pepper, cilantro, red onion, raisins and sesame seeds. Stir well. I used my tongs for this.
Add all of your dressing ingredients into your high-speed blender and process until smooth. Pour most (or all if you wish it to be SAUCY!! Aye aye aye!!) of the dressing into your slaw and mix well.
Let sit before serving, or not.
Eat it. It makes A LOT so eat it for lunch or dinner all week. Bring it to a party, make people eat their vegetables.
Tags: broccoli slaw, Plant-based, plant-strong, Raw Asian salad, raw broccoli cauliflower salad, slaw, Vegan