Another one pot meal! I know it’s a little too hot for soup but hey, it works in our house right now. Our 1-year old loves soup so it’s an easy reheat meal when I’m super busy. Plus he really enjoys the burgers I make out of the leftovers!
This soup is REALLY GOOD! My hubby said it’s in the top 5! The caramelized onions and garlic really make this soup so if you can, take the time to do that first!! You won’t regret it!
Original recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed – I used red lentils
- 7 cups water
- Water for saute OR cooking spray
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed & chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes – I used one can
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped – I used about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Heat soup pot, add in onions and garlic and sauté on medium heat, stirring often, until everything turns a deep golden brown – took me about 30 minutes.
- Add in brown rice, spices, carrot, celery, potato, tomatoes, and spices and sauté for another 5 minutes. DO NOT ADD WATER, LENTILS, PARSLEY OR LEMON JUICE YET.
- Stir in lentils and water and bring to boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 30-40 minutes or until rice and lentils are done.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley, serve hot.
- Lentil Kale Soup (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)