This is the ultimate comfort soup! It’s SO GOOD you’ll want to lick the bowl when you’re done! The cabbage and mushrooms are such nice additions too.
Cheezy Cabbage Potato Soup
This recipe is from Melomeals: Vegan For $3.33 A Day (FAV!) I added sliced baby portobello mushrooms because I had them and they were a nice addition! The ingredient list is long but this is actually a really easy soup to make so don’t be intimidated!!
Cooking spray (optional, you can water saute if you’re oil-free)
1 onion (around 1 cup, diced)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
5 cloves garlic
6 cups shredded green cabbage (around 1/2 a medium head) – (I used the fresh organic cabbage from my CSA box, YUMMY!!!)
1 (8oz) pack of sliced baby portobello mushrooms (white mushrooms would be okay too)
2 cups diced potatoes (around 2 medium) – (Used the organic potatoes from my CSA, so good!)
1-2 canned chipotle pepper in adobo (use 1 if you don’t like heat in your soup) – I use 2
6 cups water
1.5 bouillon cubes – I use no salt added veggie broth cubes
black pepper to taste
1. In a large, heavy bottomed soup pan over medium heat spray with cooking spray add the onions, garlic and spices. Cook for several minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Now, add the cabbage, mushrooms, potatoes and chipotle pepper(s) and coat with the spice/onion mixture for several more minutes. This part is tricky because the veggies haven’t cooked down yet so use two spoons to mix.
3. Add the water and bouillon and bring to a boil, uncovered. Simmer for several minutes, then turn the heat down to low and cover and allow the potatoes and cabbage to cook.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the ‘cheese/cream mixture’
1/2 block lite tofu – I used half a box of Organic Mori -Nu Firm Silken Tofu
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1.5 Tbsp tahini
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 small cloves garlic – I used about 1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp yellow mustard (prepared)
2 Tbsp umeboshi vinegar (or 1 T soy sauce and 1 T lemon juice)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Process all of the above in a food processor until totally smooth.
2. When the soup is done take it off the heat (this is VERY important or the mixture will curdle) and stir the cream mixture into the pot.
3. Let it sit, covered for 5 minutes and taste for salt/pepper.
4. If you’d like, add around 3 cups of the soup to the food processor and puree for a creamier soup (and to get all of the cheesy sauce out!). Add the pureed soup back into the pot – THIS IS WHAT I DID
This makes around 8 cups of soup… trust me you will LOVE the leftovers! This soup gets better the longer it sits in the fridge too!
Saute onion, garlic and spices. Add in cabbage, potato, mushrooms and chipotle
Add water and bouillon
Make Cheezy Cream in food processor (only takes a minute!)
I added 2+ cups of soup into the food processor with cheeze, blended then poured back into main soup
Poured back in
- Spicy Broccoli Cheeze Soup (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)