Talk about a protein powerhouse! This salad is pretty easy to put together and perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. If you have little kids, like I do, you totally understand how important quick meals are!! I originally made this salad without the Basil Lime Dressing but my hubby insisted I post it together since it was so good. We haven’t tried this out on our kids yet but we will soon. I’m thinking it may be a bit spicy for them but we shall see
If you don’t want to make the dressing, just add the lime juice and agave to the salad recipe. I thought about adding chopped cilantro but I though it might be a bit much with the basil dressing. Next time I’ll add some chopped jicama and maybe some corn as well. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!
Fiesta Bean Salad with Basil Lime Dressing
- 1 large 28oz can chickpeas OR 2-15oz cans, rinsed and drained – SAVE THE LIQUID FOR THE DRESSING!!!
- 1-15oz can black beans
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups sprouted green lentils (optional but adds a nice crunch. Not sure how to sprout lentils? SEE HERE)
- 1 large red pepper, diced small
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 4 cups prepared quinoa – I added mine after it had cooled for about 20 minutes, still pretty warm
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (This amount gave it a little kick but not too much. Adjust as you wish)
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 large avocado, diced
Basil Lime Dressing
* You can double this recipe and keep what you don’t use for other salads… it’s pretty good!
2-3 Tbsp agave
1/8 cup lime juice
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup fresh basil (roughly chopped)
1/2 cup bean liquid from canned beans
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
- Add beans, lentils, red pepper and cucumber together in a large bowl. Mix gently.
- Add cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and mix throughout.
- Add quinoa and spinach and gently combine mixture until fully mixed.
- Add pumpkin seeds and… you guessed it! Mix gently
- Add as much dressing as you’d like and combine until completely mixed.
- Serve with chopped avocado on top!