I love chipotle chili powder! I like to sprinkle it on my popcorn with wheat germ and a little salt. Anytime I see a recipe with chipotle in it I have to try it. This Chipotle Hummus is from one of my favorite vegan food blogs Melomeals: Vegan For $3.33 A Day. She has really delicious recipes and she teaches you how to eat healthy for really cheap by making a few base sauces and using them for other recipes. I pressure cooked a pound of chickpeas (cost me about $1.50) and I used half of them to make this delicious hummus.
My husband loves this hummus! He puts it on sandwiches, tacos and eats it with chips or crackers. I like it with jicama and lime juice or pita chips.
I used a batch of this hummus to make Cheezy Chipotle Broccoli Quinoa Soup (also from Melomeals) which turned out to be an absolutely delicious soup! Tastes like a cheesy broccoli soup with a little chipotle kick! My husband had two bowls and asked if I would save the leftovers for him!
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 t Tony’s creole seasoning
- ¼ t cumin
- ¼ t coriander
- 2 c HOT chickpeas (reserve ½ c cooking liquid)
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 T tahini or peanut butter (I used tahini)
- 2-4 T chickpea cooking liquid as needed or Olive Oil if you aren’t watching your calories
- Juice of 2 limes ( around 3 T )
- ¼ c chopped cilantro (optional)
- Salt/pepper to taste
* I blended all the ingredients at once in my VitaMix blender and it turned out great!
* If you don’t have a VitaMix, here’s her food processor instructions:
- Pulse garlic and tony’s in food processor until garlic paste is formed
- Add the rest of the ingredients and puree until totally smooth
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more lime juice if needed.