Tempeh… I feel like people either love it or hate it. I’m somewhere in the middle and I’m trying to love it! I feel it’s one of those foods you have to cook correctly or it’s gross. You know, like kale and/or tofu?! I’m trying to make it easier to enjoy… emphasis on “trying”. Let me know what you think of this one!!
Have you tried my Crockpot Mango Lime Tempeh Chili? My kids LOVE that one!
Baked Paprika, Garlic & Lemon Dijon Tempeh
- 2 – 8oz packages of tempeh – I use Westsoy brand
- 1/2 cup apple juice, not from concentrate (I might try increasing this to 1 cup next time, that way there will be more sauce for it to cook in?!)
- 3-4 tsp smoked paprika (I used 3tsp but live on the edge… try 4!)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard (OOH! Horseradish dijon would be good too!)
- 2 small’ish lemons, juiced and zested
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- I served mine on top of steamed mixed greens with roasted tomatoes and homemade vegan sour cream (recipe below). Add a lemon slice and dust a little smoked paprika on top for some color!
- To roast tomatoes – wash 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in half longways and place on parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 250 degrees for 30+ minutes or until roasted.
- Cut each tempeh in half and steam or boil for 10 minutes to reduce bitter taste, set aside to cool.
- Add all other ingredients to a large ziploc bag and mix well.
- Cut each tempeh half into 2 pieces, cutting each in half longways… you should end up with 8 pieces total. (Does that make sense? lol!)
- Place tempeh in bag with marinade and coat all the pieces well. Let marinate for 1-2 days, the longer the better!
- Pull tempeh pieces out of the bag and place in a shallow baking dish, pour any remaining sauce in with the pieces.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Check every 10 minutes or so to make sure they’re not drying out.
Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 package silken firm tofu – I used a 12oz package of Organic Mori Nu Firm Silken Tofu
- 2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Few drops of liquid stevia
- Blend together and refrigerate for flavors to blend.
Tags: baked lemon tempeh, baked tempeh vegan, roasted tomatoes, vegan sour cream, vegan tempeh