I bought cabbage with the intention of making kraut this week but I got sidetracked, threw in some pickled onions and asparagus instead. No more room at the fermentation counter station, now what am I going to do with all of this cabbage?
I made another batch of Frizzy Cabbage Noodles with the green one. That was GOOD!
I decided to make this with the red cabbage and I’m really glad I did! I’m still trying to think of what this goes with so maybe you can help me. I bet this would be great on top of burgers, in a collard wrap, on top of bread (with my new Cheddar Cheeze!) or plain in a bowl… that’s how my kids like it! I like it on my oatmeal!
I might try adding this to my Veggie Breakfast Cake!
Crockpot Spiced Red Cabbage, Apples & Pears
- 2 lbs red cabbage, thinly sliced/shredded
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 large apples, chopped with skin left on
- 2 large pears, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 Tbsp date sugar
- 2 cups cinnamon applesauce
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar (balsamic would be good here too!)
- Place shredded red cabbage in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, combine the chopped onion, apple, pears and garlic together and mix well.
- Layer in crockpot in this order:
- Red cabbage, then sprinkle with salt & pepper
- Apples, pears, onions & garlic mixture, then the spices & 1 T date sugar.
- Keep layering this way until everything has been used up, pour the applesauce in about half way and spread as much as you can.
- Pour the red wine vinegar (or balsamic) over the top and close the lid.
- Cook on High for about 6 1/2 hours or until cabbage is nice and tender.
This freezes well too! I used a HUGE head of cabbage for mine and it made about 10 cups worth.
Tags: crockpot apples, crockpot cabbage, crockpot red cabbage, crockpot spiced red cabbage