This soup is REALLY good! Both kids and my hubby asked for seconds, our 14 month old screamed “Mo mo” for more until we refilled his bowl. I pureed his portion because he doesn’t like a ton of texture to his food. I will be making this again soon!
Yummy Black Bean & Corn Soup
Original recipe from
Black Bean & Corn Soup
Water/Broth for sauté
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp agave or other sweetener (I did not add this but you may like this addition)
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4 cups vegetable broth or water
4 (15 oz cans) black beans
5 big tomatoes
2 (15 oz cans) corn or 3 cobs of corn, cooked and cut off
1/2 bunch of cilantro
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Avocado, diced (for garnish)
Cilantro (to garnish) INSTRUCTIONS
1. Grind cumin and coriander seeds in a food processor or mortar and pestle until a coarse grind (I used my magic bullet). Set aside.
2. Puree 2 cans of black beans and tomatoes until smooth. Set aside.
3. Water/Broth sauté onions, carrots and celery. Cook until tender. Add agave (if using) and let vegetables caramelize slightly. Deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar.
4. Add spices and garlic to pot and cook 2 minutes.
5. Add vegetable stock/water, pureed black beans and tomatoes, black beans and corn to pot. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cook 20 minutes to over medium heat. Adjust seasoning if needed. Add cilantro.
7. Garnish each bowl of soup with avocado and cilantro.
Saute onions, carrots and celery
Puree 2 cans of black beans and tomatoes together until smooth
Add garlic and spices, saute for 2 more minutes. Deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar
Add pureed beans and tomatoes, corn, broth/water and remaining black beans to pot. Season with salt and pepper. My tomatoes didn’t fully puree so I chopped the remaining ones up and added them in.
Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes. Add cilantro
Serve with diced avocado and cilantro!
Beans, Gluten-Free, Lunch, Makes Great Leftovers, Our Toddlers LOVE This!, Soy-Free.
balsamic vinegar, Black bean, black bean and corn soup, chili powder, coconut oil, Cook, Coriander, Phaseolus vulgaris, Stock (food), vegan black bean soup.