I’ve made a lot of mock-meatloaf in my day and this one is the best! My husband and daughter love this. You can serve this for Meatless Mondays! It’s so easy to make and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients.
The brown gravy requires nutritional yeast and whole wheat pastry flour but you can find both in the bulk section of Sprouts. I bet you already have everything else in your fridge… well, maybe minus the Gimme Lean Ground “Beef”. Gimme Lean also makes a sausage style one too – both are fat-free and delicious!
These are all the ingredients you will need for the meatloaf – plus onion powder and garlic powder.
Here’s the recipe for the Mock Meatloaf:
* 1 package Gimme Lean (Beef-Style)
* 3 Tbsp Ketchup
* 2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
* 1 small onion, diced
* 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (Trader Joe’s has them for cheap)
* 1/4 non-dairy milk (I use rice, almond or soy depending what I have on hand)
* 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
* 1 Tbsp dry basil
* Preheat oven to 350F
* Place a large sheet of foil in a regular bread/loaf pan – enough to make a tent over the top
* Mix all ingredients together well and place meatloaf in pan – smooth out the top and tent the foil over it
* Bake for 45 minutes or until the outside is brown and the inside is firm.
* You can smother the top with extra ketchup if you desire.
** Brown Gravy:
* 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
* 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
* 2 cups vegetable broth – I like to use the Imagine brand “No-Chicken Broth” – Sprouts has it
* 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
* 1 tsp onion powder
* 1/4 tsp garlic powder
* Whisk nutritional yeast and whole wheat pastry flour in a medium saucepan, toast until fragrant – about 4 minutes
* Whisk in remaining ingredients
* Bring to a boil and allow to thicken as desired – it get’s pretty thick but if you want it thicker dissolve 1 Tbsp cornstarch in 2 Tbsp water and add it in
* Add salt and pepper to taste
This gravy really tastes like the real thing!
Now you are ready to serve and enjoy!
I served it with kale salad… recipe to follow!Tags: Beef, Cooking, Home, Meatless Monday, Mustard (condiment), nutritional yeast, onion, trader joe's