Our son is now 9 months old and almost walking, needless to say my life is getting crazier by the second! I’ve been cooking dinner at nap time when my hubby is at work for 24 hours, that’s the only way I can feed both kids and have any chance at a meal myself. I save the complicated recipes for when my hubby is home, he watches the kids while I dice and chop in the kitchen for what feels like hours (to him! LOL!)
I just LOVE Veg Kitchen with Nava Atlas!! If you’ve never been on her site, you need to set aside some time to bookmark recipes soon! I’ve made so many of her recipes and I’m never disappointed. This is another winner and it’s super easy to make with tons of leftovers for the next few days. What more can I ask for!?! Our toddler loves this chili and my hubby and I often fight over the leftovers 😉
Quick Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
Serves: 8 or more
- 3 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- Two 28- to 32-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed – I used fresh cooked beans
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used no-salt added fire roasted flavor!)
- One 16-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 or 2 small fresh hot chiles, minced, or one 8-ounce can chopped mild green chiles – I used green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, or more, to taste – I used 4 tsps
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro, or more, to taste – I used cilantro
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced, optional – I used 2
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until just firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into 3/4-inch dice. Set aside until needed.
Water sauté the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onion is golden. Add the remaining ingredients except the last three. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered for 15 minutes.
Add the sweet potato dice and continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the parsley or cilantro and optional scallions, then season gently with salt (or not). If time allows, let stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through as needed. Top each serving with extra parsley or cilantro, if desired.Tags: Bell pepper, Black pepper, Chili pepper, Cook, Fruit and Vegetable, Home, onion, quick black bean chili, Sweet potato, vegan sweet potato black bean chili, vegan sweet potato chili