I’ve been making this for a couple of years now and it’s delicious every time! I usually make it in the crock pot but you can make it on the stove if you are in a hurry.
- Waster/broth for saute
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 -2 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers (red and green are nice)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 oz (or a small cup) of strong coffee
- 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate (about 1/4 cup)
- Vegan cheddar cheese (Daiya) or vegan sour cream or green onions, for serving (Optional)
- In a large skillet, water/broth sauté onions and garlic and sauté until onions become soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the celery and chile, cover and cook for another five minutes more.
- Reduce the heat and stir in spices, (cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, chili powder, black pepper, salt) along with the bell peppers. Cover again and cook for another five minutes. Stir often to keep the spices from burning. If the pan gets too dry add a little liquid from the diced tomatoes, or some water.
- Next, add the black beans, tomatoes, lime juice (if using), coffee (if using) and soy sauce. Let the chili simmer on low for 5 to 10 minutes, until it thickens slightly and flavors combine.
- Stir in the chocolate. When chocolate has melted, taste to adjust the salt and pepper. Serve with topping of your choice. I like a bit of vegan cheese, sour “cream” and scallions.
- Chili can also makes a great filling to serve wrapped in flour tortillas, or in taco shells if you prefer.
** Crock Pot Method:
– Saute the onions for about 7-10 minutes
– Add garlic and peppers and saute a bit more.
– Add spices and sautéed for a minute then transferred to crock pot
– Add all other ingredients
– Cooked on low for 6 hours (or high for about 4 hours)
I served this with Bread Machine Pesto Bread tonight but I usually serve it with cornbread. Yum!Tags: black bean chocolate chili 1