We eat a ton of kale salad but this one is the absolute best! I highly recommend this one, you WILL NOT be disappointed. I’ve added the Smoky Maple Tempeh Crumbles to make it more of a meal-type salad and it’s awesome! You can make this without the tempeh too, it’s so good either way! Plus, this salad keeps well in the fridge for a few days so it makes awesome leftovers!!
AMAZING Kale Salad topped with Smoky Maple Tempeh Crumbles
The original recipe is from food blog Melomeals: VEGAN FOR $3.33 A DAY, one of my favorites!
Here is her recipe:
- 4 cups kale, destemmed and cut in a chiffonade – I use Black Kale/Lacinato or also called Elephant Kale
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon best quality sea salt (smoked salt would be fabulous here!) – I use Alderwood Smoked Salt from World Spice Merchants but you can use regular salt if that’s all you have (Smoked salt is best though!!)
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar – I add a little extra
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons minced red onion
- ½ cup chopped green olives – make sure you mince them well
- 1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- Salt/pepper to taste if needed
- In a large mixing bowl, add the kale, salt, orange juice, vinegar and garlic powder. Massage well with
your hands for several minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and massage well
Let salad sit for 10 minutes; taste and adjust seasonings and enjoy!
For the Smoky Maple Tempeh Crumbles – you can use these in a lot of other dishes too, they are great in breakfast burritos, other salads and just by themselves! You can also keep them in cubes instead of mashing them.
* 2-4 blocks Organic Tempeh – from Trader Joe’s
* 2-4 tsp Liquid Smoke (depending on how smoky you like it!)
* 2-4 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup (depending on how sweet you like it!)
- I use 4 blocks of tempeh (from Trader Joe’s) so I have enough for leftovers (I always double this salad recipe for leftovers) – you can use 2 for a single batch of this salad
** Note: I used to cook these in oil but I’ve since removed oil from our diet. You can bake these crumbles on parchment paper at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes or so.
- Slice tempeh into cubes
- Boil tempeh in salted water for about 15 minutes
- Drain tempeh and transfer to mixing bowl
- Mash tempeh into crumbles
- Heat Safflower oil until hot and add crumbled tempeh
- Brown tempeh crumbles a bit then add Maple Syrup and Liquid Smoke – taste and add more if you like.
Top salad with crumbles once they’ve cooled… YUMMY!!!
Tags: amazing kale salad
, amazing kale1
, balsamic vinegar
, great leftovers
, green olives
, kale salad
, liquid smoke
, maple syrup
, smoky maple tempeh
, sun dried tomatoes