Happy Birthday to our daughter, she turned two years old today! I made this pudding yesterday for her birthday dessert tonight – her dessert is usually fruit so this was a treat!
She LOVED it! Can you tell?
When I saw this recipe on HealthyMammas.com, I just had to make it! As they put it ” how else can you find a way to get in your Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds, and Coconut Oil in one sitting?” My thoughts exactly!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cashews (use RAW cashews, bulk section at Sprouts)
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds – (I used whole and shelled, all I had)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar – (I used brown sugar, all I had but I will use coconut sugar next time! Buy at Sprouts)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (I used a little less)
- 2 ½ Tbsp chia seeds (You can buy them here on Amazon, best price I’ve found and free shipping!)
- Soak the cashews in water for 4-6 hours. When finished rinse the cashews with water and strain. (don’t leave this part out! I made it without and with soaking – huge difference!)
- If coconut oil is solid place in a pan or double boiler on the lowest temperature possible. (or stick in the microwave for about 6 seconds) Once oil becomes a clear liquid turn the heat off. Coconut oil should melt at 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the water, the soaked cashews, the hemp seeds, the coconut sugar, the salt, and the vanilla extract in a high-speed blender. (My Vitamix was PERFECT for this)
- Blend on high until you have a nice creamy consistency.
- Turn the blender on low and while it is running slowly pour in the melted coconut oil. Place the lid back on and run the blender on high for a few seconds.
- Turn the blender on low and slowly pour in the chia seeds. You will want to make sure the chia seeds stay whole. (important, I also tried this with and without keeping them whole. My recommendation is to keep them in tact.)
- Place mixture in a sealed container (a quart size mason jar works great) and refrigerate over night. Super Food Chia Pudding is great topped with cacao nibs and hemp seeds or fresh berries.
- It will be runny when you pour it out of the blender but don’t worry, it will set up in the fridge.