This is very healthy, easy to make and delicious! My husband and toddler LOVED it! You could eat this dish with a ton of things, we had it with wheat tortillas, shredded carrots, cilantro and leftover TVP Taco “Meat” and a side of Garlic Yu Choy.
Black Bean & Corn Quinoa
Ingredients (serves 4 to 6)
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups organic veggie broth (plus a bit more for sauteing your onions and garlic)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional – I used 1/8 tsp)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- Optional (Throw in a can of drained diced tomatoes – OR serve with some fresh salsa) – I added one can of Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic… YUM!
- Chopped cilantro, to top (optional but good!)
- Saute onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of veggie broth over medium heat until soft and almost translucent.
- Add the garlic when the onions are about 1/2 done…you may need to add a little more broth as they cook to keep them moist and keep them from sticking.
- Mix in quinoa and cover with 2 cups veggie broth.
- Season with spices and salt & pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until most of the liquid is gone…about 10 to 15min.
- Stir in corn, black beans and diced tomatoes – continue to cook on low heat for about 5 more minutes until all liquid is absorbed and everything is heated through. (add a little extra veggie broth if needed)
- Taste and season with additional sea salt if needed.