My hubby and I both agreed that these are one of the best veggie sandwiches we’ve ever had!
This recipe is from the online movie Planeat. We REALLY enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it to anyone who likes food movies.
Kale Lemon Sandwiches
- 4 slices Mestemacher of Feldcamp (Whole Foods) or any whole grain bread – I’ve used squaw bread from Sprouts or Ezekiel sprouted bread
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped in bite sized pieces (remove thick stem) or Swiss Chard or greens of choice (4 cups or more) – I use kale (Lacinato)
- hummus without tahini (easy to make blending a base of chick peas, lemon and garlic then adding to taste cumin, vinegar, red peppers, parsley or cilantro
- Green onions chopped (1 per slice of bread) – Red onion is good too!!
- 1/2 to 1 bunch cilantro or parsley, chopped – I use cilantro
- 1/2- 1 lemon, center part VERY, VERY thinly sliced and the ends squeezed and zested – I love lemon so I use extra
- 1 large tomato, sliced in 4 thick slices (optional)
- Broccoli sprouts (optional but good!)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Toast bread well. If using Mestemacher or a rye or pumpernickel double or even triple toast. Make it almost cracker-like. (I double toast the squaw or sprouted bread)
- Put kale in a pot with about 3-4 inches of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until kale is tender, 3-5 minutes. Check frequently. Kale is good when cooked almost spinach-like. (STEAMING KALE FOR A FEW MINUTES WORKS TOO!)
- Spread toast thickly with hummus, sprinkle green onions on the hummus, pile cilantro on top of the green onions and then place a few thinly sliced lemons pieces on the cilantro.
- When Kale is tender, drain well. Shake the strainer so all water is gone, sprinkle the kale in the strainer with lemon zest and remaining lemon juice. LOTS of lemon makes this good!
- Then put a big handful of lemon filled kale on top of each piece of bread. It is delicious just like that or top with a tomato slice and/or sprouts. Season with pepper.
And there you have health in a bite! A bit of a messy one at that!
- Kale Salad with Maple Lemon Dressing (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)