My mother-in-law introduced me to this salad and it’s my new favorite! You can find this salad at Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza restaurant… with a whopping 1/2 cup of oil and 2 tsp of salt. Yikes! I decided to recreate this salad WITHOUT that nonsense, turned out even better than the original!
My hubby was a bit skeptical but devoured an entire plate full! I served this with romaine leaves and a few flatbread crackers. I also added a couple cooked/chopped Gardein Chick’n Scallopini filets, per my hubby’s request. I try to stay away from fake meats as much as possible so this was a rare occasion.
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrot
- 2 cups chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped mint
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 2 cups shredded lettuce – romaine
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup bean liquid – from canned beans or home made
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp allspice, ground
- *OPTIONAL: Saute up a few Gardein Chick’n Scallopini fillets, chop and add them in.
- Cook quinoa according to package and let cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients, mix well and serve with flatbread and/or romaine leaves. You can wait to add the veggie/mint/onion/etc mixture to the chopped romaine until you serve it if you need it to last longer. This makes a ton of salad, I saved the mixture and added it to chopped romaine the next few days.
- Serves 6
- California Quinoa Salad (Whole Foods Copycat!) (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Citrus Black Bean Quinoa Salad (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)