This tastes like regular broccoli cheese soup with a kick of chipotle but it’s really healthy, easy to make and dairy-free! The creamy hummus and the nutritional yeast give it a cheezy taste and texture. It only takes about 30 minutes to make. My husband LOVES this soup and scarfed down two bowls for dinner tonight.
Here’s her recipe for the soup:
* Water/broth for sautéing
* 1 onion, diced
* 1/2 red pepper, chopped finely
* 6 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 t dried basil
* Several grates fresh nutmeg
* 1/2 t chipotle powder
* 16 oz frozen broccoli florets (or 1 pound fresh)
* 2 cups of chipotle hummus
* 4 c water/stock
* Bouillon cube if using water
* 1/2 cup quinoa
* 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
* Salt/pepper to taste
* 1 T umeboshi vinegar (optional, but VERY good)
- Add the broccoli, hummus and stock. Bring to a boil for several minutes.
- Turn heat down to low and add the quinoa. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in the nutritional yeast and umeboshi vinegar then season with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.Tags: broccoli, chipotle, chipotle hummus, chipotle soup1, garlic, hummus, Melomeals, nutritional yeast, onion, quinoa, red pepper, soup, umeboshi vinegar