I’ve been wanting to make this for a while now so yesterday I finally did it! SO glad I did because this is really good! I ordered a pound of lima beans from NutsOnline.com just for this recipe, in addition to my regular order (love that site!). I sent a container of this spread to work with my hubby for his veggies sandwiches, he loves it! I toasted a piece of Ezekiel bread, spread this over it, topped with leftover Chipotle corn salsa and broiled for a few minutes. YUMMY!
I made the beans in my pressure cooker after soaking them overnight – a definite learning curve because the manual didn’t say how long to cook them so my first batch was pulverized! My daughter likes to snack on lima beans, so I learned today when I threw some in a cup for her snack, just to see what she would do. Yay for new healthy toddler snacks!!
This recipe is from Melomeals, my favorite food blogger!(as I’m sure you know by now!)
Fat Free Smoky Cheese Spread
- 2 cups (preferably warm) large lima beans
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small red or orange pepper – I used a Habanero pepper and removed the seeds
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained of liquid (reserve liquid)
- 2-4 tablespoons light miso – I used about 2 1/2 Tbsp
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2-4 tablespoons brine from green olives (or sauerkraut liquid) as needed to thin mixture – I used about 3 Tbsp
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a food processor, process garlic first, then add the pepper.
- Puree completely, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Let mixture sit for an hour or so, then taste and adjust seasonings.