We love oatmeal, we eat it almost every morning. I try to spice it up some days but most days it’s the usual raisins, nuts and some type of fruit on top. We’ve been rotating between the usual, the Orange Creamsicle Oatmeal and this one lately. This is really easy to make the night before and it’s great to be able to pull breakfast out of the fridge, heat it up and go. I’m out the door in a hurry most mornings, rushing off to Crossfit so this recipe is perfect!
Not to mention, it’s a GREAT way to sneak in your much needed serving of greens per meal! The added chia seeds are a double bonus. Our toddler LOVES this!
The original recipe is from a fantastic vegan food blog, Oh She Glows. If you haven’t checked out her site yet, set aside some time to do so. She has a bunch of really great recipes!!
The original recipe was written to make one serving but I’ve adjusted it to make a bigger batch, with a few other changes. Sometimes I add 1/2 cup of white beans to the mix too.
Green Overnight Oats
- 2-3 large handful fresh spinach or 2 handfuls of kale
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp chia seeds (necessary for thickening)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup regular, rolled oats
1. In a blender, blend together the spinach, banana, chia seeds, and almond milk until smooth.
2. In a large plastic or glass bowl/container, add the oats and then pour the smoothie on top. Stir well until combined.
3. Place in fridge (uncovered is fine – I always cover it myself) overnight. Give it a good stir in the morning and then enjoy it cold, straight from the fridge or warm it up a bit, if you prefer.
We like to add walnuts, shredded unsweetened coconut, berries, bananas…. anything you wish!Tags: almond milk, banana, Crossfit, green oatmeal, Ingredient, Oat, Oatmeal, Recipe, Salvia hispanica, vegan green overnight oats