This is a really delicious curry dish without all the crazy ingredients. We all enjoyed this very much, even the kids! Again, not the best picture but as you know I’m usually pressed for time!
This makes about 6-8 decent sized servings, plenty for leftovers!
- Water/Veggie Broth for sauté
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 Tbsp minced ginger (I like 3)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 to 2 tsp curry powder (I used 2 tsp of Kashmiri Curry from World Spice. It’s very mild, my kids like it!)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 small sweet potatoes OR 2 large ones , peeled and chopped
- 5-6 cups spinach or kale (I used lacinato kale)
- 3 celery stalks , chopped
- 1 green pepper ( optional)
- 2 cans coconut milk (I used one regular and one lite)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 block of extra firm tofu – drain, press and cubed – optional
- (add any other veggies or herbs you would like)
- Water/broth sauté diced onions until soft. Add garlic , ginger, ground cumin, ground coriander, curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon stick and sauté for 5 min.
- Add carrots, spinach/kale, celery , carrots, sweet potatoes, green pepper or any other veggies, coconut milk , tomato paste , cilantro, sea salt. Add in some veggie broth or water if you feel as though there isn’t enough liquid.
- Stir well, bring to a boil then cover simmer on medium heat for 25 to 30 min or until all veggies are soft. If using tofu, add it in 10-15 minutes before it’s all done.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving to let the sauce thicken.
- Serve over rice or quinoa (I used quinoa)
- ** Note: you can add vegetable broth or a little water if you feel you need more liquid