I made this in a hurry but it turned out delicious! Our 18-month old was screaming at the top of his lungs in his high chair most of the time, flinging bananas across the kitchen. Once his portion cooled off he started eating the screaming stopped. Phew!!
Sweet Potato Tofu Hash
- Water/Veggie Broth for sauté
- 1 package Trader Joe’s Organic Sprouted Tofu (or any other package of firm tofu) drained and pressed OR 1 package of tempeh, shredded
- 15 oz can of chickpeas – black beans work too!
- 2 small-medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 cups diced mushrooms
- 2-3 cups spinach or kale (I didn’t get a chance to add this in because I ran out of pan space but I recommend it!)
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos (or tamari, soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
(I use heaping amounts of all these spices but I love bold flavors!)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black salt (optional but really good!!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
* Topping/Mix in suggestions: zucchini, can of fire roasted tomatoes (drained – add in at the last 5 mins), chopped cilantro, green chilies (4oz can), avocado, hot sauce…
- Water/broth sauté sweet potatoes, onions, garlic and red pepper together until soft. I covered my pan with a lid, I feel like it helps the sweet potato cook faster.
- Add in beans, greens, mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are soft.
- Crumble tofu into the mixture and stir, add in nutritional yeast, coconut aminos and all the spices. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings.