My kids both devoured this two nights in a row but my hubby and I were on the fence about it. You be the judge! I may make a few changes the next time I make this so I’ll keep you posted!
I served this over spaghetti squash for us, brown rice pasta for the kids! Another great pasta sauce is Easy Garlic Roasted Marinara Sauce if you have more time!!
- Water/Veggie Broth for sauté
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, diced (use 1 bulb if you really love fennel!)
- 4 cloves of garlic, mined or pressed
- 2 – 280z cans of crushed tomatoes (I used crushed with basil)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 – 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup veggie broth or water
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 12 ozs sliced mushrooms
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional – many people prefer this without it)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Sauté onion, celery, carrot and fennel together until soft. Add in garlic and mushrooms, sauté a few minutes more until mushrooms are soft’ish.
- Add in italian seasoning and sauté for anther few minutes.
- Add in broth, red wine, tomato paste and tomatoes and let simmer 30 minutes to an hour. I did an hour but I bet 30 minutes would work just fine!
- Add lentils, cover and cook until lentils are done – about 30 minutes or so. Stir in parsley and balsamic vinegar (taste before you add this to see if you want it), let cook a few more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Let me know what you think?! Thank you!!!
- The Best Lentil Chili Ever (Slow Cooker) (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)