My kids both devoured this two nights in a row but my hubby and I were on the fence about it. You be the judge! I may make a few changes the next time I make this so I’ll keep you posted!
I served this over spaghetti squash for us, brown rice pasta for the kids! Another great pasta sauce is Easy Garlic Roasted Marinara Sauce if you have more time!!
Water/Veggie Broth for sauté
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 fennel bulb, diced
4 cloves of garlic, mined or pressed
2 – 280z cans of crushed tomatoes (I used crushed with basil)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 – 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup veggie broth or water
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1/2 cup red wine
12 ozs sliced mushrooms
2-3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
3 tsp italian seasoning
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Saute onion, celery, carrot and fennel together until soft. Add in garlic and mushrooms, sauté a few minutes more until mushrooms are soft’ish.
2. Add in italian seasoning and sauté for anther few minutes.
3. Add in broth, red wine, tomato paste and tomatoes and let simmer 30 minutes to an hour. I did an hour but I bet 30 minutes would work just fine!
4. Add lentils, cover and cook until lentils are done – about 30 minutes or so. Stir in parsley and balsamic vinegar, let cook a few more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
5. Let me know what you think?! Thank you!!!
- The Best Lentil Chili Ever (Slow Cooker) (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)