I’ve been obsessed with roasted chickpea lately! I’m determined to invent a bunch of new flavors since we eat them so often! The coconut it totally optional if you don’t like it, they’re great with or without! These would also go great on a salad or thrown in a wrap!!
Coconut “Bacon” Roasted Chickpeas
- 1-15oz can chickpeas – drained, rinsed and patted dry OR 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut – I used finely shredded for this first batch because it’s all I had. Next time I will use the large unsweetened flaked coconut AND probably use 1/2 cup.
- Mix marinade together in a small bowl and pour over chickpeas (I used a ziploc bag but you can use a shallow dish if you prefer).
- Stick it in the fridge and marinate overnight – I let mine sit for about 12 hours.
- Next day – drain marinade off of chickpeas and save. Preheat oven to 400 and spread chickpeas out on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Mix shredded coconut in with the leftover marinade and set aside.
- Bake chickpeas for 15 minutes then toss. Bake another 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- Add coconut mixture to chickpeas, toss and stick them back in the oven for the last 15 minutes. Check to make sure the coconut isn’t burning.
- Take them out, let sit for a minute or two then serve!
Other roasted chickpeas your might enjoy!Tags: "bacon" roasted chickpeas, Bake, Chickpea, coconut, coconut facon chickpeas, coconut roasted chickpeas, maple syrup, Marination, Oven, Sheet pan, trader joe's