I love collard greens almost as much as I love kale. They are awesome for making wraps, I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of stuffings for my daily collard wraps. Right now I’m into my Tempeh Salad mixture, similar to a chicken or tuna salad but without the chicken or fish.
Tempeh Salad Mixture – for sandwiches or wraps
* I cut up 2-8oz blocks of Tempeh (Trader Joe’s Organic Tempeh) into cubes and boil them for about 20 minutes in salted water.
* I drain these cubes and let them cool a bit. Then I mash them with a potato masher until crumbly
* I add (eyeballing along the way) hummus or vegan mayo – about 1/4 to 1/2 cup
* Green onions, minced – about 6
* Half of a red or yellow bell pepper, diced
* 4 stalks of celery, diced
* About 3-4 Tbsp pickle relish
* 1-2 Tbsp each dijon mustard and spicy brown mustard
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes or fresh parsley
* Juice of half a lemon or more to taste
* Salt & Pepper to taste
** Add it all together, mix well and let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour. Overnight is best, if you can wait that long!
– My hubby and daughter like this between two pieces of toasted wheat bread with sprouts and avocado on top. We keep this in the fridge at all times, I make a batch of it about once a week. This is one of my husbands favorite things to take to the station.
I like to take a large collard green leaf, wash it, dry it and cut off the bottom part of the stem and slice the stem flat on the veiny side of the leaf.
I slather a bunch of Kale Spread on the bottom, slap a sandwich sized amount of the Tempeh Salad Mixture on top of that followed by Daikon Sprouts, Avocado and a little Salt & Pepper. After I finished rolling the green wrap I realized I forgot bean sprouts! I’ll add that next time as well as some leftover blanched asparagus!
I’ve noticed that the leaves roll better after sitting in the fridge for a couple days. I’ve been making a few of these at a time, wrapping them in plastic wrap and storing them in the fridge for lunches or snacks on the go.
YUMMY!!!!Tags: avocado, collard green wraps, kale spread, sprouts, tempeh chicken salad