You’ve recently learned how to make burgers out of leftover soup, but how about burgers with only 3 ingredients!?! These are so easy to make and hold together really well, ready for whatever toppings you enjoy most. We like sautéed or raw spinach/collard greens, avocado, red onion, pickle relish and Southwestern Chipotle Sauce or Habanero Sauce (our latest favorite!) served with a side of Sweet Potato Fries.
This recipe calls for HOT beans – I usually cook a pound of beans in my electric pressure cooker and once they are done I assemble these burgers (and save the leftover beans for other things). You can also cook beans in a crock pot, make sure to soak them overnight before you cook them. Make sure to save the water you cooked the beans in when you drain them, helps the burgers stick together better!
This is another awesome Melomeals recipe – A.K.A. “The Food Genius” I make about 9-10 average sized burgers from this one recipe, enough for leftovers for a few days!
- 3 C HOT Beans (HOT means TEMPERATURE)
- 2 C old fashioned oats (rolled oats, uncooked) – I’ve used quick oats or rolled oats
- 1 envelope onion soup mix – I use Lipton or the Sprouts brand packet
- Hot bean liquid if needed to bring the mixture together – I use about 1/3 cup of bean liquid for a batch of burgers
- Mix everything together
- Let mixture cool
- form into patties and cook over medium heat in a cast iron skillet for 5 minutes a side