I know what you’re thinking… habaneros are too hot!! I think the Stevia and the red wine vinegar (and maybe carrots?) in this sauce mellow out the hotness of the habaneros leaving a nice spicy kick and tons of flavor. This has become one of our favorite sauces! My husband loves the Chipotle Sauce so much, he was hesitant to try this one because “I’m happy with my sauce, I don’t need another one to confuse me”. Well, this one is another one of his favorites now too!
If you like hot salsa, you could eat this with chips (I do) but if you’re more of a wimp you may want to dab it on tacos, burritos, nachos, mac n’ cheeze (yum!) and many other things! So far we’ve added it to bean burgers, Beer-Simmered Seitan Carnitas, Matzo Brei, and Black Bean & Quinoa Chili.
This is another FABULOUS recipe from Melomeals: Vegan For $3.33 A Day! It’s so easy to make and again… SO GOOD!!!
- Water/broth for sautéing
- 3 habaneros, cut in half - I deseeded mine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small carrots – (I used the carrots from my CSA… fresh organic carrots are yummy!)
- 10 large garlic cloves
- about 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ t Kal Stevia Powder
- 1.5 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
1. Sauté peppers, onions, carrots, garlic and salt for 15 minutes in a non stick skillet
2. Add stevia, vinegar and water
3. Bring t a strong simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes
4. Let cool and blend
This will keep in the fridge for a month. It will separate; that’s OK, just stir it together before using. You can freeze it in an ice cube tray and store the cubes in your freezer. One cube adds great heat and flavor to rice, chili, marinades or other dishes.
- Black Bean & Quinoa Chili (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)