These are SO GOOD and take less than 20 minutes to make! This was our Super Bowl splurge food and WOW it was good!! I haven’t used oil in so long it was a little odd to cook with it again but I don’t think this recipe would’ve worked without it. I only used a tiny bit so feel free to use whatever you wish.
I love anything (well, almost anything within my eating range) with buffalo wing sauce on it and these fit the bill!
Tofu and Tempeh Buffalo Bites
vegan, adjust recipe for however many logs you would like to make
tofu logs (from extra firm tofu – I like Trader Joe’s High Protein Organic Extra Firm Tofu)
tempeh logs (from any variety of tempeh – I like Trader Joe’s Organic Tempeh)
safflower oil (for cooking)
hot sauce (I used Cholula and Frank’s Buffalo Hot Sauce)
agave syrup or maple syrup – I used pure maple syrup
Dip: 2 Tbsp vegan mayo + 1 tsp sweetener (agave or maple syrup)
1. Press your tofu dry and slice into logs. Slice tempeh into logs.
2. Add a few teaspoons of oil to a hot skillet.
3. When oil is hot, add in enough logs to fill the pan. Allow the tofu and tempeh to sear on both sides for a few minutes. You can add a sprinkle of salt/pepper to these naked logs to season.
4. Add in the hot sauce and maple syrup. You will want to add in about 1/2 tsp hot sauce for every log and 1/2 tsp maple or agave syrup for every 2-3 logs (depending how sweet you like them). Cook the sizzling logs in hot sauce and sweetener for another minutes.
5. With the logs still quite wet from the steam and sauces – add in a plentiful amount of nutritional yeast to the pan. I usually use about 1 cup for the entire skillet. The nutritional yeast acts as your ‘breading’ and creates a crusted over, cheezy-flavored coating. Add enough yeast until the pan is generally dry.
6. Add in a final splattering of hot sauce. You can add a lot for extra spicy bites. Just be sure to add another coating of nutritional yeast if the logs get too wet again.
7. When logs are crispy on the edges with plenty of browned spots – removed from skillet and cool on plate. Serve in a few minutes after allowing to cool.
8. Make your dipping sauce simply by swirling 2 Tbsp of Vegenaise (vegan mayo) with 1 tsp maple or agave syrup. Add in a dash of cayenne or any dip spices you would like toad. Pepper and celery seed are nice. I also like paprika.
- BBQ Tempeh Wrap with Goaty Cheeze (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- AMAZING BBQ Tempeh, Broccoli & Goaty Cheeze Pizza (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Gingered Tofu & Zucchini (AND a little chit-chat) (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)