I haven’t made this in awhile… not because it’s not THE BEST NACHO CHEEZE EVER but because making this leads to a large consumption of chips and other snacks type things we don’t really eat too often. Yes, I know people need to splurge every now and when we do it’s for this sauce and these nachos! I usually double this recipe and mix it in my VitaMix. I use my TVP Meat with Hidden Greens recipe for the “meat” part of our nachos… my family loves this for nachos, burritos, tacos and anything with a Mexican flair!
For a really good bean dip, add a single batch of this nacho cheese to this bean dip recipe and stir to combine. Serve in a small crockpot to keep warm – good with chips of any kind!
1 can refried beans
1/2 cup vegan sour cream
small can chopped green chiles
1 packet taco seasoning – or a batch of the homemade taco seasoning
1 green onion, chopped (optional)
P.S. I made this for my Grandpa and Uncle, SERIOUS MEAT EATERS from Colorado… they had no idea it was dairy-free!! They were confused when I told them… “what do you mean it’s cheese without cheese??” 😉
Real-Deal Nacho Cheeze
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 ounces pimientos (half of a 4 oz. jar)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (optional but SO GOOD!)
1. Soak cashews in hot water while combining the remaining ingredients (except chiles) in a blender. If you don’t have a high powered blender, soak cashews for an hour or two in hot water first.
2. Add cashews to blender and process on high for 1-2 minutes.
3. Cook in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick. Add chiles and serve or use in other recipes that call for cheese sauce.
* Another good vegan cheese recipe for ya!
- Lentil Quinoa Stew with Red Chard (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Kale & Chickpeas with Creamy Cashew Sauce (Served over Quinoa) (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)