Burgers are the easiest thing to feed our 18 month old, Cash. He refuses to eat with a fork or spoon, just wants to hold it in his hand and use the opposite hand to shovel in food! 😉
Burgers are easy for me too since I don’t have a ton of time to prepare my meals during the day. I just throw one of these in my collard wraps with Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Cashew Cheese, leftover quinoa, shredded veggies, lentil sprouts and avocado. Sometimes I top it with Habanero Sauce or an oil-free dressing I have in the fridge. I have a ton of different burgers recipes but these are one of my favorites!!!
Original recipe from VegKitchen.com
- Water or veggie broth for sauté
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 15 0z can chickpeas, drained and rinsed OR 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend (such as Spike or Mrs. Dash – I use Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder – I use Kashmiri Curry, my fav!!!
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup hummus (any flavor will do – I use Our Favorite Hummus)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté chopped onion over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic, carrot and celery and sauté until all the vegetables are tender and golden.
- Combine the vegetable mixture with the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Pulse on and off until the mixture is evenly and finely chopped, but don’t puree.
- Drop by heaping 1/4 cup portions (I used my large ice cream scooper) onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment paper and flatten/shape gently. Bake for 30 minutes, flip over and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until they’re done.
- Coconut “Bacon” Roasted Chickpeas (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)
- Sriracha Lime Roasted Chickpeas (kidtestedfirefighterapproved.com)